Long Live Libby
OverDrive will be winding down the legacy OverDrive app and making Libby the primary way for users to enjoy your digital library. For years, OverDrive has been focusing their development resources towards making Libby the most feature-rich experience for library patrons.
Beginning February 23, 2022, OverDrive will remove the OverDrive app from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Microsoft Store. It will remain in the Amazon App Store for the time being.
Users that already have the app installed on their devices can continue to use it on their devices, but it will no longer be able to install it when searching for it on the app store. You’ll be actively encouraged to switch to Libby, within the OverDrive app, with a goal of moving most over by the end of 2022.
Users who already have OverDrive for Windows or OverDrive for Mac can continue using those applications without disruption. However, they will no longer support new downloads of those applications. As technology continues to evolve and trend toward the use of mobile devices, OverDrive doesn’t plan to build support in Libby for downloading audiobooks to a desktop computer and transferring them to an MP3 player.
Tell me more about the difference between the names “OverDrive” and “Libby”
OverDrive is the name of the company that provides your library with a digital reading platform. With the OverDrive service, your library and users have access to enjoy ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, and other streaming media. We offer the following options for enjoying your library’s digital collection:
Libby mobile app: Available on Android and iOS devices, this is the newer app from OverDrive. Users can search for their library in Libby and get started today.
Libby browser experience: Users can enjoy many of the same features of the Libby mobile app in a web browser at libbyapp.com.
Your library’s OverDrive website: Each library has their own unique website with .overdrive.com in the URL. Your library’s OverDrive website is best enjoyed on a desktop or laptop computer. It has a different look and feel than Libby.
OverDrive app: The OverDrive app is a legacy app for Android, iOS, Windows 8/10, and a desktop version for Windows and Mac for audiobooks only. We’re starting the process to wind down usage of this legacy software and welcome more users to Libby.
Which features are available in Libby that are not available in the OverDrive app?
- Easy onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class ebook reader that supports comics, magazines, and read-alongs
- Push notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for “Extras,” including streaming video services, educational courses, and more